What began in the late 1980's as a movement spearheaded by a small band of young women inspired by the sprit of the Gandhian Boodan Movement of the 60’s evolved in to the official formation of WORD in the year 1991. The oppressive conditions with the prevalence of highly discriminating and cruel practices perpetrated against the female gender such as Female Infanticide, Foeticide and Dowry in the villages and the Semi Urban Centres here in the operational areas belonging the district of Namakkal was the main motivational factor.
Subsequently, the pathetic plight of the Marginalized communities of Dalits and Most Back sections, together with the colossal degradation and depletion of the natural livelihood resources like soil and water and the catastrophically Transmission of HIV/AIDS) in all our villages had to be addressed as other major thrust areas of interventions.
Attaining an Equitable Social order without Discrimination on the basis of Gender, Caste, Creed and Class that is in Harmony with Nature.
Participatory Community Development
- Empowerment of Women for Gender Equity
- Facilitating towards Socio-Economic-Empowerment.
- Emancipating Women and Girl Children of from Traditional Cultural Clutches and Atrocities.
- Equipping women with Vocational Leadership and Entrepreneurial Skills towards achieving the Vital Economic Independence.
- Making effective use of the organized collective strength and Economic Empowerment of Rural Women towards removing the traditional cultural shackles, especially the cruel practice of Female Infanticide ad Foeticide highly prevalent in our operational areas.
- Organizing Women in to Self Help Groups & Federation and Credit linkages with financial institutions.